Quick Texas Chili
- 3 lb extra lean hamburger
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper more to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes more to taste
- 1 tsp smoky paprika
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp can chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced minced, more to taste
- 4 cup beef stock
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chili
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained andrinsed (omit for Paleo/Keto) drained and rinsed (omit for Paleo/Keto)
- 1 oz tortilla chips crushed (omit for Paleo/Keto)
- Set a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When hot, add hamburger and stir to break up meat while browning. When meat is no longer pink and water has evaporated, remove excess fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons with the meat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, green pepper and cook until the onion is soft and translucent. Season with kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, smoky paprika, chili powder, cumin, coriander and oregano.
- Stir well, then add minced garlic and cook about 30 seconds more. Add beef stock, tomato paste, Rotel tomatoes, green chilies and chipotle chilies. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cook on simmer 1.5 hours, stirring often, or put in a crock pot on low for 4-6 hours. Before serving add pinto beans and crushed tortilla chips if using.
- Garnish with a selection of grated cheddar cheese, diced green onion, cilantro, sour cream and hot sauce.
Best served with Skillet Cornbread (see recipe) or crackers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!