Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 small carrots diced
- 2 medium yellow onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream optional
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Prepare a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Stain the diced canned tomatoes, reserving the juices and spread tomatoes on the baking pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with half a cup of olive oil. Roast until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, onion. Cook until soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more. Add the roasted tomatoes, reserved juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, add the basil and cream. Remove bay leaves.
- Puree with a hand held immersion blender, or carefully use a traditional blender working in batches, until smooth.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!