- 1 lb Italian Sausage casings removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small zucchini squash chopped
- 2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 28 oz can Italian Style crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can green beans drained
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cup macaroni cooked according to package directions
- In a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat, brown the Italian sausage. Remove when done and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Discard sausage grease. Add olive oil, and heat on medium. Saute mushrooms until browned, add onion, bell pepper, zucchini. Cooke until tender, then add garlic. Cook just until fragrant, add wine, simmer to reduce by half, add crushed tomato and chicken stock.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Add beans. Simmer for 1 hour or more.
- Prepare macaroni per package instructions. Drain and add to soup just before serving.
- Serve with classic garlic bread or baguette.
I like to add any leftover pasta sauce I may have on hand to this soup. It makes a very nice addition and can add flavor and quantity.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!