- 1 packet active dry yeast
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ tbsp shortening
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg white
- In a small bowl soften yeast in ¼ cup warm water. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, scald milk by bringing to a rapid foamy boil. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl combine milk, boiling water, shortening, salt, and sugar. Mix and allow to cool to warm. Add yeast.
- Mix in flour in batches to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead lightly a few times. Place in a clean, oiled bowl and cover with a clean dry cloth. Allow to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down and divide the dough in half. Shape into long loves and place on a greased cookie sheet well apart from one another. Allow to rise until about half again as big. About 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 250° for another 25 minutes. In the meantime, beat egg white with 1 tablespoon cold water.
- Brush loaves with egg white and return to the oven for 5 minutes more.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!