- 3½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 cake of compressed yeast or 1 packet, or 2¼ teaspoons dry
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature, beaten
- 1½ tbsp shortening
- In a small bowl, soften the yeast in 2 tablespoons lukewarm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix 1 cup hot water, salt, shortening and sugar. Stir until dissolved and let cool to just warm. Add egg and yeast.
- Add flour in batches and mix to form a soft dough. Place in a clean, oiled bowl and cover with a clean dry cloth or plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Prepare a muffin pan, or any baking pan, with cooking spray or oil.
- Punch the risen dough down and shape into 12 equal balls. Place one ball in each muffin cup or side by side in baking pan. Allow to rise covered with clean cloth until they fill cup or increase to about half again in size. The sides should come together on the regular baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when taped. Turn out of pan and cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with softened butter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!