Campfire or Crock-Pot Baked Apples
- 1 large crock-pot optional
- 12 tbsp (1 ½ sticks) butter softened
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 8 large apples
- Whipped Cream for serving
- In a large bowl, mix butter, pecans, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Slice off the top of each apple and use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out core. Stuff butter/oat mixture into apples.
- If using a crock-pot, place each apple upright in staggered layers and cook until tender. About 2 hours on high or 5 hours on low.
- If using a conventional oven, butter a 9"13" baking pan and arrange the apples upright in single layer. Dust with a little sugar and cinnamon and bake for about 45 minutes or until apples are soft, at 350° F.
- For campfire, wrap each apple individually with heavy duty aluminum foil. Or double wrap with regular foil. Set apples around the edges of the campfire near coals. Cook for about 45 minutes rotating every 15 minutes or so, then test for doneness by inserting a knife into one until the apple feels soft, or continue cooking until softness is achieved, then remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!