Hot Artichoke Dip
- 2 14oz cans artichoke hearts in water
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup whole milk, warmed
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ¾ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese finely grated
- ¾ cup Pecorino cheese finely grated
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leave chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 French baguette sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Remove leaves from one artichoke heart, pat dry and reserve. Thinly slice remaining artichokes. Pat dry.
- Melt 3 tablespoon of butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Add cayenne, salt and pepper. Reduce to simmer and cook, stirring until thickened. About 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses.
- Melt remaining butter in a skillet over medium-high, add onion and cook 3-4 minutes. Add thyme, garlic, and sliced artichokes. Cook stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes. Add to cheese mixture along with lemon zest. Transfer to baking dish.
- Top with reserved artichoke leaves and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Serve warm with sliced baguette.
*May be prepared, all but the last step of adding the artichoke leaves, breadcrumbs, and baking; up to a day ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature, top with leaves and breadcrumbs, and bake Serve warm with sliced baguette.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!