- 8 whole anchovy fillets
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Cloves fresh garlic peeled
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz Parmesan grated fresh
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 loaf of crusty French bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- Pinch salt
- 5 large hearts of romaine lettuce rinsed and dried
- 8 oz Fresh Parmesan shaved into long thin slices
- For the dressing, place the anchovies into a blender or food processor. Add the Dijon mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, and lemon juice. Pulse the processor or blend on low speed until smooth. Scrape down sides.
- With the processor or blender on, drizzle olive oil into the mixture in a small stream. Scrape down sides. Add grated Parmesan, salt, and a generous grind of black pepper. Pulse together until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate in an airtight glass jar for 1-2 hours or up to 2 days before using on salad.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread bread cubes single layer on a baking sheet. In a small pan, heat olive oil over low heat. Crush the peeled garlic and add to oil. Use a slotted spoon to occasionally move the garlic around in the oil. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and remove garlic from oil.
- Drizzle the oil over the bread cubes and toss to coat. Sprinkle lightly with salt and bake until golden brown and crisp. Toss with a spatula during baking to brown evenly.
- For the salad, in a large bowl (chilled) tear the romaine lettuce into bite size pieces. Drizzle about half of the dressing over the lettuce, toss to evaluate how much more dressing to add. Shave off long, thin slices of Parmesan into the salad and toss again.
- Serve immediately garnished with croutons.
- Remove the salad dressing from the fridge about 15 minutes before using to soften the olive oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!