Suzee’s Crunchy Granola
First 5, liquid Ingredients
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Next 7 dry Ingredients
- 1 cup flaxseed meal optional
- 6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup almonds broken or sliced
- 1 cup walnuts broken
- 1 cup flaked coconut, unsweetened
Dried Fruit, not baked
- ½ cup prunes chopped
- ½ cup dried apricots chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Two ungreased, rimmed cookie sheets
For liquid ingredients
- In a medium saucepan, mix and heat first five ingredients until the honey and coconut oil are dissolved.
For dry ingredients
- In a large bowl mix the next seven ingredients. Add the warm honey mixture to the dry and mix well.
- Spread a single layer on a large cookie sheet, working in batches, bake until all granola is golden brown, turning throughout the baking process.
- Let granola cool on the cookie sheet, then remove to a large clean bowl and add dried fruit. Repeat until all granola is baked and completely cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month, or in the freezer for later use.
- Serving suggestions; milk, milk substitute, yogurt, apple juice, or just enjoy dry.
I have lived on this granola in the backcountry for extended times and found it very sustainable. I carried dry milk powder, or at times used bottled apple juice to serve it. Now there are milk substitutes available for the lactose intolerant.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!